The mission of the Olean Public Library is to provide equal access to materials in various formats, programs, services, and professional staff to assist all people with their educational, informational and leisure needs.
- Board of Trustees
- The Library is governed by a Board of Trustees who decides on policies for its operation and governance within New York State Education Department regulations and its own By-laws. The seven members of this Board come from throughout the Olean School District and are nominated and voted into this position by popular vote of the residents of the School District. The Board meets every month except July and August.
- The Library Director is the administrative officer of the Board of Trustees. Library regulations and staff procedures are established and administered by the Library Director within the general policies established by the Board of Trustees. The Library Director makes appointments to the staff to positions approved by the Board of Trustees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at the Olean Public Library will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Olean Public Library does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, alienage, citizenship status, ethnicity, marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
- Part Time Librarian
The Olean Public Library is seeking a part time librarian to provide reference service to patrons of all ages.
- Provide reference and readers’ advisory service to both adults and children
- Provide instruction in both print and electronic
- Provide assistance and instruction to patrons using the library’s public computer center, Wi-Fi and other electronic devices
- Assist with collection development in assigned areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong public service skills
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with the public
- Excellent computer and technology skills, including use of mobile devices and social media
- Ability to communicate library policies and procedures to the public
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
10-15 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.
ALA accredited MLS and NYS Public Librarian Certificate required.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Kim Mahar, Assistant Director
Olean Public Library
134 N. 2nd Street
Olean, NY 14760